Chittenden Mill (1820), Jericho, VT
Although this mill originally employed millstones drvien by a waterwheel, in 1885 it was converted to use a new steel roller process powered by water turbines. It is thought to be the first mill in New England to use this technology. The mill finally closed in 1945. It was purchased by the town of Jericho in 1973, and turned over to the Jericho Historical Society to maintain and restore as an historic site and community resource.