Steamtown is located on 40 acres in downtown Scranton, Pennsylvania, at the site of the former Scranton yards of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad (DL&W). The museum is built around and incorporates a working replica turntable and roundhouse, which includes two original roundhouse sections built in 1902 and 1937. Steamtown is maintained by the National Park Service, which acquired the privately-held Steamtown U.S.A. collection in 1986.
There is a lot of history here. In 1851, the first passenger and freight stations were constructed on the site. Machine shops followed shortly thereafter, and in 1855 the first roundhouse was begun. The steam locomotive repair shop was in operation until 1949, and the yard was finally closed by Conrail in 1980, following its 1976 acquisition of the Erie-Lackawanna railroad. Most of the structures that remain on the site were built in the early 1900s.